Friday, December 27, 2013

Letters: Testing takes away from time for learning

NEIFPE Member Susie Berry wrote this letter about the overuse of testing last fall...

Monday, September 2, 2013 - 12:01 am

As a former teacher, the beginning of the school year always makes me nostalgic for my many days (many years, really) of teaching kindergarten and first-grade students.

Since my retirement four years ago, the curriculum has changed, dramatically. More is expected of our youngest learners, and teachers must teach to this curriculum and to the increasing number of tests.

I wonder if children have time to act out rhymes and stories.

I wonder if teachers have time to read stories for the simple joys of reading and listening. I wonder if children have time to use manipulative to learn sorting, counting, adding and subtracting.

And I wonder if children have time to play — to process all they have learned during their busy school days.

Moving, reading, listening and playing are ways young children learn. Taking paper-and-pencil (and even computer) tests do not fit into a developmentally appropriate curriculum.

Call your legislator. Say “no” to all this testing time.

Susan Berry

No comments: