OHIO - MICHIGAN - INDIANA - ILLINOIS
Would you like to join with others in our 4-state region in coordinated action to support our public schools?
Parents Across America, in cooperation with many local groups, invites you to “Public Schools Across America,” a 4-state Regional Action Planning Meeting.
Across the country, there is a rising chorus of protest against corporate-style school reform. Parents, teachers, students, principals, superintendents, scholars, school board members, civil rights lawyers and other concerned citizens are voicing opposition to the privatization of our schools which threatens the future of our children and the fundamental democratic principles upon which our system of public education is based.
With “Public Schools Across America,” we hope to create a model for coordinated regional action in support of public education which could be expanded and replicated across the U.S.
- Who: You are invited! And please share this invitation with others interested in regional joint action in support of public education (even if they are not in our region – as long as they are able to get themselves to Ft Wayne). This meeting is not limited to educators. It for parents, grandparents, and concerned citizens who support public education and want to get more involved in supporting our public schools and our children.
- What: The first “Public Schools Across America” Regional Action Planning Meeting.
- Where: Ft Wayne, IN, chosen because it is located within a reasonable drive from all 4 states, and is FULL of public education activists!. We will meet at the Plymouth United Church of Christ, conveniently located at 501 W Berry Street in Ft. Wayne.
- When: Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 from 12 noon to 5 pm (snacks provided).
- Why: To share our concerns about attacks on public education and how we have addressed them locally, and to consider joint activities across our region and potentially across the U.S. to strengthen public education.
Julie Woestehoff, executive director, Parents United for Responsible Education (Chicago) and co-founder of Parents Across America. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Maureen Reedy ~ Parent and 29-year public school teacher Ohio Teacher of the Year, 2002 Columbus, Ohio